Sunday, February 16, 2014

DON'T BOGART THAT BUK

(8-16-2012)  PASS IT ON...Wayne Kramer's great first solo CD "The Hard Stuff" features a hidden track called "So Long, Hank", in which Brother Wayne relates his reaction to reading CHARLES BUKOWSKI'S ( b. 8/16/20 ) novel "Factotum." Lo and behold, the very next day after I heard Kramer's song I found the book on sale and I too "saw myself on the page"; working low level jobs and "drinking, fucking up, with crazy, negative girlfriends."  And I realized why I had never read "On the Road" or "Catcher On the Rye." I was waiting for Bukowski, who opened up my mind's eye to that mug in the mirror I saw everyday but couldn't  begin  to really see. Sorta like RAW POWER.....
  If you are interested in delving into Buk's massive catalog of work I suggest you start with his novels featuring his alter-ego Hank Chinaski ( "Ham On Rye","Factotum", "Post Office","Women" ) and his great book of short stories "South of No North."
     PS...Although I didn't realize it when I first moved in, until recently I had been living for the last ten years in the same style bungalow as Hank; which was just around the corner from me at 5124 DeLongpre in the same neighborhood where he wrote most of his classic work. Some people think that the fact that his old pad has been declared a "Historic-Cultural Monument" by the city of Los Angeles is somekinda disgrace to Bukowski's memory. I'd like to think he'd get a good laugh out of it. Maybe even a cool poem...And thanks again, Brutha Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment